It looks like I’m on an every other week posting schedule for my muffin series. Such is life I suppose.
Today’s muffin is semi-healthy, with no refined white sugar and using whole wheat flour. These applesauce oatmeal muffins aren’t too sweet and really are a great breakfast muffin. They are a little drier than my other muffins, and I think that helps them keep really well in an air tight container.
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 heaping cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce (natural)
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk, but 1% or 2% would work fine)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat applesauce, milk, oil, vanilla and egg white until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are just coated.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full.
- For the topping, combine all ingredients into small bowl and sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.